Attymass banner - the Ox Mountains

Main Sections:

Contact Details
Parish Newsletter
Newsletter Archive
The Church
Fr. Peyton Centre
The School
Community Centre
Local Sports
Famine House
Home Page


Document Archive
Famine 1845-49
Killdermott Abbey
Ogham Stone
Killeen Faulmore
Holy Wells

The History of attymass Parish

The parish of Attymass is rich in cultural and built heritage with over one hundred sites of archaeological and historic interest. These include Megalithic (c3,500 – 500 B.C.) tombs, Fulachta Fiadh (ancient cooking sites), Crannógs (artificial islands), standing stones, Celtic ringforts, an Ogham stone and several Early Christian sites including at least one abbey and several holy wells.

The parish is also rich in vernacular architecture though there is a danger of this being lost due to modern building activities and the ravages of time.

While much work remains to be done, this web-site aims to preserve, collate and archive material relating to the history of the parish and present it in an accessible on-line format. Much of this work involves transcribing hand-written documents, notably the works of Patrick Flannelly N.T. as recorded in the Parish Inventory of the 1930’s, the Schools Folklore Collection, also from this period and relevant sections from historic Ordnance Surveys.

In addition an attempt at creating a “snap-shot” of historic monuments and vernacular architecture in the parish will be made that it is hoped will be of interest to the present generation and of use to those who follow.

Access to the Historical Documents Archive and completed sections of the “Snap-Shot-Survey” can be gained by using the sub-section links at the left of this page. Many of the sub-sections contain links to more detailed material - look for links at the top of the pages.

Access to the Schools Folklore Collection of 1937-1928 is best made through the Folklore Introduction Page.

A brief history of the present church with links to more detailed documents can be found here.