FÁilte - Welcome to the Attymass web-site
The official website
of the parish of Attymass
Our parish, which is situated six miles south of Ballina, County Mayo at the foot of the Ox Mountains, is an entirely rural community of about two hundred and fifty families. It is a place of great natural beauty, with vistas of mountain, lake and bog land around every corner of the road.
Special greetings to all natives of the parish, especially those living away from home, in Ireland or overseas. Watch out for the weekly Attymass Parish Newsletter!
Our most famous and favorite son is the late Servant of God, Fr. Patrick Peyton, CSC, and the Rosary Priest. A visit to the beautiful Memorial Centre built in his honour in his home parish is highly recommended.
SOME PARISH MILESTONES
1832 Attymass became an independent parish. Prior to this it was part of the parish of Coolcarney, which also included Kilgarvan or Bonniconlon.
1835 Attymass parish church was built, replacing a small thatched church. The site was donated by Mrs. G. H. Moore. Landlord of Kilgellia. The Catholic population was 3,478 and the protestants numbered 34. (Present population c. 750)
1847 Two hundred and forty famine deaths in the parish in the six months period 1 October 1846 & 1 April 1847. Hundreds more died of hunger before the Famine ended.
1957 Major renovations of the church. Work began on 15 July 1957 & it blessed & rededicated on 16 July 1958 by Dr James Fergus, Bishop of Achonry.
1998 Official Opening of the Fr, Patrick Peyton Memorial Centre by Bishop Thomas Flynn.
2002 Pre-famine cottage from the parish dismantled and rebuilt stone by stone in New York, where it now forms the centre piece of a Famine Memorial.
2004 Official launch the parish Website Attymass.ie
2004 Monument unveiled in Caradoogan marking where the pre-famine cottage, now in New York, once stood.